Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Flash draft: Sprint

Because I have to get up at 4 am for a 6 am flight to New York, I am unveiling my first draft of this week's Flash Fiction entry. Hopefully, I'll have time tomorrow to post something a little more substantial.

=======================================
Sprint

If he lived to be a hundred, he would never forget the fear as he caught sight of his son.

He knew even before beginning to run, he would never reach the boy in time.

How did he get so far from the house so fast?

Straining forward, anything to go faster.

Please – let me reach him.

His son had nearly reached the busy street.

Please.

The child stepped down from the curb. The first car -

God.

Stopped. He snatched the boy up in his arms, gasping.

Thank you.

He was joyful, exhausted, angry. Grateful.

He never forgot.
==========================================
(100 words including title)

Take care.

3 comments:

unmitigated me said...

And his wife is very glad she did not know about this episode for a very, very long time.

The Stiletto Mom said...

Wait, did that really happen? Thats scary, though I think we've all been there. Really well written!

Jim Styro said...

MAW: It's not something I like to think or speak of - but I think it's important not to forget. On the other hand, while I have never (until now, one could argue) gone out of my way to share info on this incident, I've never lied or tried to hide it either.

S&M: Unfortunately, yes. Any parent that has never had a similar scare is lucky indeed. Glad you like the piece. I contemplated a much darker version - need to decide if I will try a second draft.