Wednesday, July 15, 2009

I owe a cock to Ascelpius

Yeah - I'm talkin' to you, Crito!

OK, so I realized that there was no way in Hades that I was going to be able to prepare a post after getting home from the Harry Potter flick tonight. So I'm taking a few minutes (when I should be taking a cat nap) to write out these few measly lines.

So how about these for contradictions:

- I love sleep. I think it is important - and entirely undervalued in contemporary American culture. I regularly harp on my (nearly) adult children to get to bed and a decent hour.

AND...I'm going to the midnight show of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince tonight and don't expect to get home until close to 3 AM. If I wasn't doing that, I'd probably be up until 1 AM writing a blog post (better than this one).

- I'm nearly always busy. There is rarely a night that I come home from work and vegetate in front of the TV. I'm either attending a martial arts class, a choir practice, a meeting at church or the Youth Theater or writing a blog post.

AND...I loved doing as little as possible on my vacation. I love doing as little as possible whenever I can get away with it. Deep inside me, is a lazy man yearning to breathe free.

- I love attention. Clearly my outgoing nature, my penchant for theater and public speaking, the blogging are all designed to get other people to notice me, to tell me how talented I am, to love me.

AND...I don't really know how to accept a compliment gracefully. I tend to protest that I am unworthy or offer a contradictory critique. I am learning how to just say "Thank you" which is probably the best I will ever be able to do.

There's more...but I really need to get that cat nap.

Take care.

PS: [3:38 am] Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince was great!

No comments: