Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Waiting Room

Before 7 am, the hospital is relatively quiet. Now that the Middle-Aged Woman has been ushered behind closed doors by a nurse, I'm alone in the waiting room. Of course, the ever-present television is a constant companion - but we're not on speaking terms - so I'm mostly ignoring the stream of information spewing forth from the local morning news show (The tanker accident on I-75 last night which has a couple miles of the freeway closed is the story du jour. The wreckage that used to be a bridge over 9 Mile Road is still smoking.). I've spent a good deal of time in waiting rooms over the past two years. The different tests and treatments that the MAW has undergone normally involve drugs that make operation of a motor vehicle inadvisable - so I'm the designated driver,

I also do comedy relief when necessary. Whenever The Patient is nervous (rarely) or agitated (more frequent - but this can be caused by so many things...), I will often attempt to lighten the situation with humor. And I'm not above making fun of The Patient (let's face it - wearing one of those gowns with the exposed caboose can turn you into a joke magnet) when necessary - or convenient.

When I'm not driving or working on my stand-up routine, I'll read - or try to sleep. Actually, that doesn't sound like such a bad idea right now. Once The Patient emerges, I'm sure you'll get a Twitter, Facebook or blog update on her condition. Look sharp and...

Take care.

4 comments:

Middle Aged Woman said...

It was pretty busy on the other side of the curtain. I am sore, tired, and optimistic. G'night.

Jim Styro said...

"Busy on the other side of the curtain", eh? Is that like "mowing the lawn"? Who exactly were you busy with, honey?

Lisa (Jonny's Mommy) said...

I hope it all worked out OK. Oh wait...I see there is an update here so that is good news!

Sprite's Keeper said...

Now THAT is a dedicated husband. :-)